Monday, February 19, 2018

the U.S. patent for snow chains from the pioneers, who were also well represented by the Thomas Flyer, and Harry Houdini


In 1908, the Thomas Flyer that won the New York To Paris Race was equipped with Weed Chains.

 The same year, as part of the New York Automobile Carnival, Harry Houdini was challenged to free himself from Weed Chains, performing this feat on the evening of April 10, 1908, Houdini overcame six padlocked Weed Chains in addition to two steel-rimmed car wheels and handcuffs and leg irons, over 400 pounds of weight. Houdini got out, but it took him 29 minutes and he was exhausted at the end of it.

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2017/07/vanished-tool-makers-weed-chain-tire.html

1 comment:

  1. My first car had snow chains in the trunk the year I graduated from high school in 1960 (I know I'm ancient) and it was a bad year for snow and I had to put those chains on my car. Boy, did I ever hate that chore.

    ReplyDelete